Thursday, December 27, 2012

To Every Blog, There is a Season

(That might be in the Gnostic Gospels somewhere.)  I didn't mysteriously die or go off the grid; I'm just terrible at goodbyes.  Yep, I'm wrapping up this blog, which is very hard for me to say, despite the ephemeral nature of online ventures.  Since 2007, Asexy Beast has been a big part of my life and my personal identity, but I think it's time to move on to some other projects now.  When I started out, this was the only asexual blog (that I knew of...in English...) that consistently updated.  Now, you are not limited by a lack of asexual writings online, but only by your time to read them all.  The landscape has changed in my own life as well.  I want to be real about the fact that asexuality is not the same priority for me that it was in 2007.  Since I will most likely be out as asexual for the rest of my life, I suppose that my relationship with the identity will change as the years pass.  At first, I felt very uncomfortable with the fact that asexuality was not so paramount in my mind anymore, but I think it's something that happens to a lot of queer people at this stage in our journeys of self-discovery.  Do I still have more to say about asexuality?  Always...but I want to take a step back and figure out what I want to use my (sadly, limited) time to write about at this point in my life.  It might be asexuality-related, and it might not be.  I may post here about future projects.

Still, let's keep in touch.  You can always reach me at a gmail address called sanfranciscoemily.

I'm working on collecting posts for a "best of Asexy Beast", so if you have a favorite post, let me know!  Thank you for being such kind, civil, and intelligent readers.  You will always be the frosting on my glittery purple cake.

11 comments:

Tabitha said...

Glad you're alright but sad you won't be updating frequently! Your journey will constantly shift and change and I wish you all the best :)

Anonymous said...

'To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose ' Ecclesiastes 3:1

Carolyn said...

I'll miss your blog, Emily! I can understand your interest in other writing projects, I'd love to read those if you decide to share them.

Anonymous said...

good luck for your next projects, this blog mean't a lot to me esp. the books. hope you can carry on with the zines as well

Carmilla DeWinter said...

Well, I figured you'd moved on, so it's a nice gesture indeed for you to actually say so. Too many never do.

I'll definitely miss your insights.

Anyhow, if you ever need a beta for fictional stuff, I'm decent at picking plots apart, or so I'm told.

That said... we'll always have London, huh?

Cheers,

Carmilla

Janet S. said...

Ily, I've really enjoyed reading your blog posts, especially the ones about community relationships. There was a lot of great insight that I've continually thought back on during the past two years. I also enjoyed the posts about doing activities by yourself (one was focused on traveling, but I think there were more?)

In short, I'm glad you kept it up this long and best of luck in your new endeavors!

Eric said...

Best of luck to you! I have enjoyed reading your blog :)

Unknown said...

You have been an inspiration, Emily, even to the last minute. Indeed, there is a season for everything and I am glad you recognize that a new season has come for you. May you always be as wise in the years to come. May you continue to inspire others too!

Ily said...

Many thanks for your support, everyone! It means a lot to me. <3

heidi said...

I have been seeing this post in my RSS feed since you posted it. I refused to click it to read the rest. I did not want it to be over. I refused until today because I wanted to see the comments... this blog has been wonderful. It is amazing. I link folks to it regularly when asked about asexuality because it's truly good reading for aces and for folks wishing to learn more about it. Rock on!

Ily said...

Thank you so much, Heidi!