Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thank You Very Much

Today is a special day...it's Thanksgiving (at least here in America) and my Aveniversary. I think it's somewhat poetic that these two days happen to be the same this year. Three years ago, I joined AVEN, and I'm thankful that I did. After I made my intro post, I was thrilled to get welcoming responses from people all over the world, and I immedeately felt less alone in the 1% club. I've come a long way since then, from planning meetups (and not giving up on them) to writing this blog, which has almost 300 posts now. I've met some really cool asexuals in 3 states now-- 3 years ago, I hadn't (knowingly) been acquainted with any.

I like the concept of an Aveniversary because I look to any excuse to celebrate. Although your birthday is technically an anniversary, usually it takes marriage or couplehood (or lots of creativity) to get another. So, I'm thankful for emerging asexual traditions. I'm also thankful (you are sensing a theme) for my family, because I can actually talk about asexual stuff with them, without them trying to change me. They've been really supportive, like my writing, and even seem to enjoy my experimental ukulele songs. They also make it easy to be vegetarian around the holidays, which is awesome (Tofurky!). I'm very lucky to have them. I'm also lucky (and thankful!) to have friends who appreciate me for who I am, and who never, ever tell me I need to get laid. Hee, hee...You guys are great. I'm also thankful to you readers, of course. The fact that you're here encourages me to keep on with this project (especially when you leave comments). Now go enjoy your food, and happy Thanksgiving!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful for your blog.

Have a good one.

Ily said...

*gets all warm around the heart area*
:-)

gatto fritto said...

Happy anniversary and congratulations.

I went to my mom's for thanksgiving. Although I'm veggie at home, I was persuaded to have some turkey. I didn't have very much (feel a little sick, but likely not from that). I did take some turkey home with me, but I will never eat it; it's for the kitty cats. Oh, let me tell you, they were happy! I love making them happy. It's the one thing I'm good at. =^..^=

Ily said...

Thank you :-) I'm at my parents' too, so my cats are sadly missing out on the table-scraps bonanza right now.

Anonymous said...

Happy belated Aveniversary! That's exciting.

Anonymous said...

I know it's late, but happy AVENiversary. I'm thankful for your blog. It's one of the precious few I read when grad school allows me "free" time (what a concept ;-) And speaking of concepts, I like the term and idea behind "emerging traditions". The ace community certainly has a few of those.