Friday, September 28, 2007

Something More Productive (Like Roscoe)

So, I really need to get on a schedule of posting, the Gods of Blogs say it must be so. I'm thinking roughly every other day. So now if you want to plan your life around Asexy Beast, you sort of can. And no, that would not freak me out at all.
Now, on to today's unbridgeable gap of understanding:
It's not going to work to get all the people for this SF community from AVEN. The people that spend time hanging out on an internet forum are probably not the same kinds of people that would want to meet lots of random strangers out in 3-D land. Now, I could be totally wrong here. Maybe everyone today hangs out on forums, and I just don't know about it. I also know some pretty anti-social people who don't hang out on forums. So my theory isn't perfect. But I think there's a grain of truth in it somewhere.
I know that schools are a good place to recruit more Aces. But that's the problem right there-- recruiting. If you're questioning your sexuality, the odds are that you're gay, not A. Our deviant lifestyle is not for the faint of heart, and I don't want to misguide anyone. There's also the danger of seeming somewhat...cultish. And I have this...thing...well, it's kind of...more like a...phobia about cults. And I know we're not a cult, but the idea that someone else might think that really chills me. There's also the factor of, to quote my doctor: "I know you hate school." Great. That was supposed to be my big secret.
Schools usually have GLBT organizations already, which could be fruitful. But can't someone who actually goes to school full-time do this? It's obnoxious of me, but I feel like it's a better job for someone else.
Really, every venue of publicity has a downside. What's an organizer and perfectionist to do?

2 comments:

heidi said...

I'm one of the non-Aven types who is quite social but never around asexuals (living in west TX never helps!) ...I'm actually in the Bay Area for a few days but with essentially no free time. What's a girl to do? Anyway, I guess I just wanted to say that just because some folks aren't on the forums doesn't mean they're antisocial, I'd also venture to guess that a good many of the forum types would be up for 3D gatherings..

Ily said...

Hey there, thanks for commenting! I was actually trying to imply that people who aren't on the forums might be more social; however, they are harder to get a hold of. But even if this was generally true (and I'm not sure of that), there would always be exceptions, of course!
And even in West TX...we walk among you... :-)