Friday, December 26, 2008

Waiting to Be Unzipped

A while ago, randomly, I started thinking about this article, which was published on Salon ten (!) years ago. Entitled "Waiting to Be Unzipped", the piece was written by a 24-year-old heterosexual woman who also happened to be a virgin. I read this a while after it was published, but many years before finding AVEN. At the time, I'm pretty sure that 24, the age I am now, seemed fairly out of range. The author, then-grad student Mindy Hung, wrote "Those who react [with incredulity] forget that getting sex takes dedication, courage, interest and effort. It's not as if losing one's virginity is a common and unavoidable household accident. Penises do not fall from high shelves." I found I had remembered that line almost verbatim, years after last reading the article. Even though it didn't have to do with asexuality (directly), it really made me feel less alone at the time. So, I just thought I'd share.


3 comments:

The Impossible K said...

Awesome article- thanks for sharing!! I especially loved her three theories- though in my case, I'd replace Star Trek with Lord of the Rings. :)

DJ DJ said...

Haha, great quote.

Ily said...

Glad y'all liked it!