Saturday, August 11, 2007

Oh, so...

I never did an intro post. Well...
This is an asexual perspective on pop culture (and maybe even some "cultured" culture, who knows?). While our gay and lesbian homies have whole sections in bookstores dedicated to literature about their experience...we have about 3 short scientific studies and a website (AVEN-- check it out-- they're nice folks). So while I've thought about creating a blog about other things...such as poetry or meals for under $5, this one seemed like it was the most needed. I hope you agree. (And if you comment, I'll tell you about the meals under $5 anyway...it's a win-win.)
I'll probably also talk about music that's only peripherally related to my topic...it's kind of a compulsion. Sorry.
Only about 1% of the population is asexual, but in our information-overload society, there's no reason for it to be poorly understood. There are so many blogs out there, but I decided to add my voice to the throng to provide a fun way to learn about and talk about asexuality-- to say that we are out here. And we watch television.
I really hope you enjoy it!

*ily

1 comment:

Lia said...

Congratulations on starting this blog! I think it provides a unique perspective on popular culture, from the point of view of a group that is almost completely unrepresented anywhere in the media. You've taken an important step toward correcting that deficit. Don't forget that when you talk about asexuals being only 1% of the population, you are actually talking about over 2 million asexual people in the U.S. alone. I hope more of these people discover sites like AVEN, and this blog, and begin to experience a sense of community that they haven't enjoyed in the past. Keep up the good work!