Thursday, October 2, 2008

Alamo!

I'll be in Texas until Tuesday, and will say hi to an armadillo for you. (Going to Texas reminds me of one of my favorite children's books-- Gila Monsters Meet You at the Airport.) Anyway, I'm reading The Bone People right now, which is the only novel known to me that has an intentionally asexual character. (Although the story has nothing to do with asexuality, as far as I understand it.) I always have trouble commenting on a book before I'm done with it, but I can say that it's extremely well written, and the sort of story that you keep thinking about after you put the book down. I don't mean to be a total sell-out here (I did go to school in a mall for two years, afterall), but why hasn't this book been made into a movie? I think it would definitely be one of those sweep-the-Oscars type films if it had skilled people working on it. At least I would vote for it. That academian who really loves abstract crime dramas and is apparently a swing voter? I would hope so.
Oh, and find my asexual city poll here.

8 comments:

heidi said...

aww, what part of Texas? if you're anywhere near Abilene, i owe you a cup of eternal gratitude... or decaf, or whatever you prefer =)

Anonymous said...

hey, i WILL meet you at the airport :-)

The Impossible K said...

Thanks for the link! I was wondering about that poll the last time you mentioned it, but was too lazy to fumble around with the search bar on AVEN (it doesn't work well for me anyway)...
Oh, and now I definitely have to check out that book!! :)

Ily said...

Not really close to Abilene, but will have to take a raincheck on that coffee for a longer trip in the future :-)
Yay, Madelines at the airport!

gatto fritto said...

Gila Monsters Meet You at the Airport reminds me of Reading Rainbow. :)

ElviraMadigan said...

Oh my dear. I miss you. This is how I found you. I googled A-Date. Then I went through the postings until I saw something that was in San Fran and used your alias. Then I found your blog! I did not know you had a blog! Americorps is pretty cool, btw. I haven't done it, but I applied for some positions, and a friend of mine is currently doing a position in Vancouver, WA.

Joanna Leigh said...

Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany (Yeah, the book the movie Simon Birch is based on) has an asexual character. it isn't mentioned til the end, but It's the only book I've read that does so...

Anonymous said...

I very rarely read fiction but I have read The Bone People because of the asexual character. It's an amazing book but, as you suggest, the asexuality is just present, not discussed as such.
I understand it hasn't been made into a film because the author doesn't want it to be. It is a work of art, honed over many many years. It can't be changed into another form without losing what it is.
If I have understood that correctly, I really admire her; firstly for having such a strong sense of what she created being as she wants it to be, and secondly for not compromising that for cash.