Tuesday, February 12, 2008

'Gender Trouble' Killed the Radio Star

Back in the fall, I wrote about KPFA doing a piece on asexuality. Well, lo and behold, I (and some other cool folks) are being interviewed for it tomorrow. It should air sometime in March, and I'll definitely keep you posted. I'm looking forward to it-- I haven't been on the radio since DJ Pineapple dedicated this one to all her homies in prison...but that's a story for another day.

Meanwhile, I started reading Gender Trouble. This book is so hard to read, it makes everything else I do seem easy in comparison. I definitely appreciated that during my test in Music Biz Publicity tonight-- easy, easy! Thanks to Judith Butler (the author), my life is going to be a walk in the park on a Sunday; all I have to do is muddle through Gender Trouble. At least, this is what I would like to think. But, amid all the words that I should probably be looking up, there are some really cool ideas that can definitely be applied to asexuality. Here's one idea that stood out from my reading today:

"...representation is extended only to what can be acknowledged as a subject." (4)

I think you all know my stance on "visibility" by now (go forth and be visible!) but it's nice to know that Judith Butler agrees with me.

No comments: