Monday, May 26, 2008

Rotterdam

I promised you the extremely asexy song "Rotterdam", so here you have it. It comes from the fantastic album "Seamonsters" by the Wedding Present (1991), which you really should own. It was produced by my musical hero, Steve Albini, and achieves a fierce moroseness that's kind of amazing (although not for every mood). Although "Rotterdam" comes between songs with titles like "Suck" and "Lovenest", it'll be fairly obvious why I'm profiling it:

Rotterdam
by the Wedding Present

I thought you'd come round
And I know how this will sound
I said so much yesterday that I shouldn't have
So what did I do
After I talked to you?
I should've gone home straightaway but I couldn't have
Oh, I stayed with you and my heart began to sink
I wanted you but not the way you think.
So what did I say
Didn't mean it anyway
And I don't want anything that I should do.
I know you're sad
Believe me, I'm feeling bad
If I could change everything then I would do
Oh I stayed with you and my heart began to sink
I wanted you but not the way you think.

Emphasis mine. Here is someone covering the song. Sorry, best I could do. Hope you're having a good Memorial Day, everyone...

No comments: